Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Okay, one more thing

Totally unrelated to post of <5 href="http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/family/06/17/harder.to.raise/index.html?iref=mpstoryview">http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/family/06/17/harder.to.raise/index.html?iref=mpstoryview:

"This cultural pressure to put others' needs first, ignore one's own gut feelings, and avoid asking for what one wants has traditionally harmed girls," says Jenn Berman, a California family therapist who wrote "The A to Z Guide to Raising Happy, Confident Kids." "Despite the fact that she enjoys the positive attention and accolades that people pleasing brings, the more a girl pushes her own needs and desires underground to please others, the more likely her own self-esteem will suffer."

Okay, so that means... girls need to stop being lame.

It might also mean that I am a defective girl, which makes me happy. Man, I was a pain in the ass as a kid. According to this article, boys start off more difficult, whereas little girls are easy and then get difficult as pre-teens. Well, as a tot I wasn't as ridiculously rambuctious as most of the boys I knew, but my mum says I went through my teen years during my terrible twos.

I may have mentioned this, but a college friend said that in HS, she had her friends would drag race at 3 am and not realize the obvious potential injury. This explains why I had a limited social life in HS - because I was the one saying, um, you need those brain cells, it isn't music if there's no discernable melody, and that abandoned building is full of asbestos, so why do you break in?

That makes me sound more responsible than I was (Homework from last week? Oh, it's here somewhere, hang on... Can I still get credit?). But, I kind of feel better being able to look at these things that are generally true about child/teen development and say yeah, I just was weird growing up.

But not THAT weird - I think plenty of girls have the "why do I have to do what you say?" attitude at a young age. (I mean really, how smart are most adults? Kids can often figure out when grown ups are full of shit - and then they have to decide if they'd rather obey and try to get along, or call them out on it). And plenty of girls like climbing tress and jumping off stuff! Although some of those girls can still be the "let's try to please the grownups/other kids" types. It's funny - I don't remember kids being specifically like that, I just remember them doing things I didn't understand. I guess these silly but probably real gender things explain a lot of that.

I guess the differences between boys and girls can be represented with a Venn diagram, but a funky wavy one... like, imagine overlapping amoebae... somehow that image satisfies my brain.

Anyway, the point is, it's annoying but somehow helpful to real these articles, even when they really don't describe me. Or some other people. Well, everyone's an exception somewhere!

OH, and: "One area where girls do less well in school concerns spatial learning, such as geometry. Girls may use different parts of their brains to process space perceptions."

Geometry was the EASIEST math ever for me (except that joke class probability and statistics)! I would have gotten an A if I had bothered to study proofs... how did I know that would end up being like the entire class? (See? Not that responsible.) And I did so well on those stupid spacial questions on placement tests that I got put in higher math classes than I was ready for when I moved. (How does knowing what the backside of a cube looks like translate into me jumping into an algebra class when I've never used negative numbers? Silly!)

In other news, we've found some sort of Earth sized planets: http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/space/06/17/super.earths.ap/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

Aliens are just around the corner!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home